Today, the SOS Leadership Blog features an article from Celena Collins. Celena is a Certified Coach with Living In Your Power in Golden, CO, and specializes in Personal Responsibility, Accountability and Empowerment Coaching. Celena has been a member and coached other members in Toastmasters International, PSI for personal growth, leadership and achievement, and she has worked with many other coaches that specialize in various life and leadership areas.
Having finished college as a single mother, Celena has a special appreciation for parents that want to build a better life by example. As a Life & Empowerment Coach, Celena works with each client by listening and asking the right questions to determine what they truly want and dream of, helping to clarify and set their goals, and then supporting them to achieve those goals.
Top 10: Ways to Lead by Example
By Celena Collins
Good leaders must lead by example. Through their actions, which are aligned with what they say, they become a person others want to follow. When leaders say one thing but do another, they erode trust, a critical element of productive leadership. Here are 10 of the dozens of ways to lead by example.
1. Take responsibility. Blame costs you your credibility, keeps team members on the defensive and ultimately sabotages real growth.
2. Be truthful. Inaccurate representation affects everyone. Show that honesty really IS the best policy.
3. Be courageous. Walk through fire (a crisis) first. Take calculated risks that demonstrate commitment to a larger purpose.
4. Acknowledge failure. It makes it OK for your team to do the same and defines failure as part of the process of becoming extraordinary.
5. Be persistent. Try, try again. Go over, under or around any hurdles to show that obstacles don’t define your company or team.
6. Create solutions. Don’t dwell on problems; instead be the first to offer solutions and then ask your team for more.
7. Listen. Ask questions. Seek to understand. You’ll receive valuable insights and set a tone that encourages healthy dialogue.
8. Delegate liberally. Encourage an atmosphere in which people can focus on their core strengths.
9. Take care of yourself. Exercise, don’t overwork, take a break. A balanced team, mentally and physically, is a successful team. Model it, encourage it, support it!
10. Roll up your sleeves. Like Alexander the Great leading his men into battle, you’ll inspire greatness in your company.
These may seem pretty simple, however, when you can put together all 10, you can make a greater impact on your own life, and on those around you! How would you like to become the powerhouse leader you were meant to be?
Life is Good, Make yours GREAT!
Learn more about Celena at – www.livinginyourpower.com